Nursery Child Care Provision
Our Darwen based Nursery caters for a maximum of 26 children between the ages of 0 and 11 years old and operates all year around 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays and a week at Christmas).
Overall Child Care Places Available at our Darwen based nursery / kids Club setting. Broken Down into Ages!
- 0 to 2 Years – Six Spaces.
- 2 Years – Four Spaces.
- 3 to 4 Years – Sixteen Spaces.
- Kids Club Spaces – Varied up to a maximum of eight children.
Nursery Child Care
At our Darwen based nursery. The Nursery children have usage of the following rooms during their time at our Nursery setting:
- Dedicated Baby Room – Available to children within the 0 to 2 years age range.
- Sensory Room – Available to all children and babies.
- Physical Play room – Available to children aged 2 to 4 years.
- General play room – Available to children aged 2 to 4 years.
- Quiet Play Room – Available to children aged 2 to 4 years.
- Toddler Corner – Available to children aged 2 to 4 years.
- Main garden play area – Available to all children in rotation.
- Additional nursery garden play area – Available to all nursery children in rotation.
Kids Club (Holiday Child Care)
Our Darwen based holiday Kids Club caters for a maximum of 8 children between the ages of 4 and 11 years old and runs during the school holidays 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday. Any Kids Club children will be accounted for within the maximum intake of 26 children.
Our Darwen based Kids Club provision is a pack away setting and will be run from the physical play room during school holidays subject to demand. The Kids Club children have usage of the following rooms during their time at our holiday kids club:
- Dedicated Kids Club Play room.
- Sensory Room – In rotation with the nursery children.
- Main Outdoor Play Space – In rotation with the nursery children.
- A busy board with lots of different latches and fastenings to explore.
- Baby play mats and a play arch.
- A quiet / reading area with lots of board books of all shapes and sizes.
- Construction toys: elemenosqueeze blocks, soft blocks, peekaboo balls and blocks, Duplo, mega blocks, activity blocks, inter links.
- A home corner with dolls, a toy cooker, play food, dolls pram and bed and gadgets such as: toy telephones and pretend keys.
- Small world toys such as: a toy farm with chunky animals, chunky cars and a car garage.
- A ball pit, brewsters style sit on toys, activity play house, plastic tunnel, baby walker, tents and tunnels, soft skittles and balls for physical play.
- Young baby toys such as: a jumparoo, rattles, crawling toys and soft sensory toys.
- Phonics baby toys, shape sorters, hammer toys, stacking and nesting toys, push and pull along toys.
- Thomas ride on train track suitable for babies and toddlers aged 1 to 3 years.
- A chalk board and white board for Mark making.
- Small puppets and a puppet theatre.
In this play room we also have Nappy changing facilities available and cots and moses baskets for sleeping.
The sensory room at Safe & Sound Nursery & Kidz Club, promotes rest and relaxation. In the sensory room there are bubble tubes, a light table with accessories to explore, fibre optic strands and lights, a light board for drawing, a light box, sensory tray with natural objects for handling such as: dried fruits and pine cones, man made sensory toys and a ceiling adorned with fairy lights.
Physical Play Room
Safe & Sound Nursery & Kidz Club’s physical play room is great for promoting the physical activity of the children. Especially in the coldest wettest weather when the children are unable to play outdoors.
In our physical play room we have the following equipment available catering to a variety of age ranges of children:
- 2x climbing frames with slides, basketball nets and football goals.
- Crocodile rocker.
- Giant biga blocks for building life size houses.
- Balance board.
- Sit in car with pre set tracks to navigate.
- Bouncy castle.
- Giant weaving frame for threading activities.
- Electronic Thomas the Tank Engine ride on train track.
- Whiteboard and chalkboard with accessories for mark making and drawing.
- We have a parachute available for large group parachute games.
- We have a small fitness trampoline which will particularly appeal to the children within the kids Club age range.
- Velcro Dart Board.
- In addition to the above equipment we also have a space hopper, sports day play set, hula hoops, skittles, soft balls and bean bags for playing group games.
At our Darwen based nursery and kids club we vary the layout of this room to ensure that all of the children at our Nursery / kidsclub childcare setting can get full usage of all of the equipment and to maintain the children’s interest in the activities available. We have a range of layouts for our nursery / holiday kids club physical play room as follows:
The electronic thomas ride on train track is placed in the centre of the room and surrounded by small ride on cars. In the corner of the room is a stationery car with pre set tracks. The children are free to ride about the play room, take a turn on the stationery car or on the Thomas the Tank Engine electronic ride on train. A weaving frame, velcro darts board, chalk board, white board and large building blocks are also available.
When our Nursery / Kids Club Physical play room is set up in the general layout. The children have access to the following equipment. A slide with basketball hoop and football goal is placed on the left of the room. On the right hand side of the room we have another slide with a basketball hoop and football net. In the centre of the slides a crocodile themed rocker is placed. In the corner of the room is a stationery car with pre set tracks. A weaving frame, velcro darts board, chalk board, white board and large building blocks are also available.
Jump and Bounce
When our nursery / kids Club Physical play room is set up in the jump and bounce layout. The children have access to a bouncy castle and a trampoline. A weaving frame, velcro darts board, chalk board, white board and large building blocks are also available.
When the nursery / kidsclub physical play room is set up in the group games layout. A parachute is placed in the centre of the room for small group parachute games. In other areas of the room the children have access to hula hoops, skittles and balls for playing skittles, soft balls and bean bags. A weaving frame, velcro darts board, chalk board, white board and large building blocks are also available.
When our nursery / kidsclub physical play room is set up in the obstacle course layout. Our equipment above is used in a range of different ways to create a variety of different obstacle courses. A weaving frame, velcro darts board, chalk board, white board and large building blocks are also available.
Tents and Tunnels
When our nursery / kids Club physical play room us set up using the tents and tunnels layout the children have access to a range of different tents and tunnels. A weaving frame, velcro darts board, chalk board, white board and large building blocks are also available.
In all of our physical play room layouts the children permanently have access to the following pieces of play equipment.
- A chalkboard and whiteboard with accessories for mark making and drawing.
- A Weaving frame with ribbons to weave with.
- A stationery car with preset tracks.
- Giant biga blocks for building large vehicles and houses.
- A velcro dart board.
General Nursery Play Room
In our Darwen based general nursery Play room. The nursery children have access to the following play spaces:
- Construction area.
- Small world area.
- Home corner.
- Dressing up rail with a mirror.
- Messy play / sand and water table.
- Three sided painting easel.
- Table for arts and crafts and table top games.
- Computer area with a variety of different v smile consoles.
Nursery Quiet Play Room
In our nursery quiet play room. The children have access to the following play spaces:
- Quiet area with a canopy, cushions and bean bags.
- Book box full of a selection of books for the children to explore, including:
- Board books
- Waterproof books
- Cloth books
- Texture books
- Lift the flap books
- Picture books
- First reader books
- Comics, magazines and travel brochures.
Nursery Toddler Corner
In the nursery toddler Corner. The children within the toddler age range have access to the following toys:
- Shape sorters
- Stacking and nesting toys
- Hammer toys
- Giant cars
- Phonics toys
- Mathematical toys
- Cause and effects toys
- Lights and sounds toys
- Push and pull along toys
Pack Away Kids Club Play Room
Our Darwen based pack away holiday kids Club is run from the physical play room during school holidays (subject to demand).
In the pack away kids Club Room the kids club children have access to the following play spaces:
A quiet area with cushions, a rug and a range of books.
A construction area.
A small world area.
An art table.
The kids Club children also have access to a range of board games and table top games.
In addition to the above equipment the kids Club children have access to all of the physical play room listed above.
As part of our kids Club Room layout the kids Club children will have the opportunity to use the kids Club Room in one of our physical play room layouts for a period of the day.
Main Outdoor Play Space
At our Darwen based nursery the nursery and kids club children have usage of a large outdoor play area which encompasses: a mud kitchen, Cosy coupe cars, giant building blocks and two climbing frames with slides.
In our garden area we also have three large tables for the children to use for playing board games, drawing and arts and crafts.
In addition to the above we also have an outdoor toy cupboard full of outdoor toys and games such as: bats, balls, hula hoops, skittles amongst other toys and games.
Nursery Additional Outdoor Play Space
- Gardening area
- Wendy house
- Log stepping stones
- Plastic picnic table for board games and arts and craft activities
Our additional nursery outdoor play space forms part of our continuous provision and the nursery children will be enabled access to this area at all times supervised by qualified early years staff. Except in the event of adverse weather conditions.
Our Darwen based toddler group is run from the physical play room every Tuesday at 10 am until 11.30 am.
During our toddler group session. The children will have access to the following toys and equipment:
A construction area.
A small world area.
A quiet area with cushions a rug and a range of books.
An art table for art and craft activities.
The toddler group children will also have access to toddler and baby toys. Such as: a play arch, sensory toys and rattles, shape sorters, hammer toys, stacking toys, nesting toys, phonics toys and push and pull along toys.
In addition to the above the toddler group children will have access to the physical play equipment used in the physical play room.